Thursday 22 September 2016

The boy in the striped pyjamas Review!


♥ Title: The boy in the striped pyjamas ♥ Author: John Boyne ♥ Pages: 224 ♥ Published in 2006 ♥



Plot
This book sets in the time of World War II. It’s about a small boy named Bruno. Bruno has always lived in Berlin for a very long time. He has a handful of friends and likes where he lives. Until his dad gets a new job. In Auschwitz. Bruno moves to Auschwitz, with his sister, mother and father. He doesn’t like it he doesn’t like the fact that he is leaving his friends behind, and also doesn’t like the whole house at all. When Bruno is unpacking his bags he looks through the window. He sees people, walking, in striped “uniforms” as Bruno calls  them. Unknowingly he refers to them as farmers, until he meets Shmuel one day. He is on the other side of the fence in a striped “uniform.” And it was that moment, when they knew, they were going to be friends. 



My opinion



I’ve read this book for the third time, now and I have to say, the more I read it the better it gets. The first two times were in Dutch and I was a bit younger, so I wasn’t as interested in WWII and didn’t really like it in the beginning. The last time I read it was a school read. So I was already quickly done, because I already knew everything in the book. But I did read it for the third time around that time. And as I read it (In English this time) I actually started to really like it. Yes, I’ve read it before, and yes I’ve seen the movie a couple of times, but it was pretty good. I really love the character Development of Bruno. He starts as a little innocent boy, but grows up to be a brave boy, who is not afraid of the war whatsoever. And when you see Shmuel, he starts as an scared Jewish boy, in an concentration camp. But eventually as he befriend Bruno, he actually seems to open up and show you (the reader) some character. Which he didn’t show for a long time before. I really love the fact that this story is told from a 11 year old perspective. It gives the story another little twist that you might like. Because of course as a 15 year old I know what was happening in those camps and what might happen to Shmuel too. But Bruno being young and brave. He didn’t he had to figure it out himself. Did the book have some things that you would know was going to happen? Maybe. But it wasn’t bothersome. That’s what makes it fun to read more. And also the ending is really beautiful, but rather sad as well. It didn’t make me cry, but it was just so beautifully written, especially the part after it happens. (people who have read the book will know that I’m talking about) Overall I give this one a 3 star rating, and if you really love these kinds of books, you might want to check this one out. 



Rating

♥♥♥

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top